Alright, been working on something for about 2 weeks. I wanted to make my own Wolf Mask from Payday 2 because honestly, I thought the ones you could buy online looked like crap. so here’s a little step by step or whatever.
First, with the help of a friend, I ripped the 3d model from the game using Ninjaripper and opened it in 3ds max. I took a few measurements, like the height of my head, and determined the scale of the mask by comparing that to wolf’s head.
after that, I had to figure out how many layers of 1cm EVA foam it would take to make the whole thing, which was about 20. nice, I like round numbers. so anyway, I made a plane in 3ds max with 10 vertical separations that I extruded so that it went right through. I print screened every plane from the left side and printed the result (the picture’s blue because I was out of black ink and uh…details…)
I traced all the layers on the EVA foam twice (for the other side) with a marker, cut them and glued them together with a hot glue gun.
I used a Dremel to sand out all the crap to the best of my abilities.
To be honest I had absolutely no idea what I was doing at this point. I needed a way to fill the gaps between the foam and I thought good ol’ newspaper paper mache might work. later I used the dremel to drill the nostrils in. just for better ventilation, y’know?
I searched online and found this paper mache Clay Recipe and decided to try it out. I must’ve screwed up the recipe because it was very tacky and had quite a lot of clumps. I carefully sculpted the details on the mouth using the 3d model as a reference. I also added some EVA foam around the back so it looked more accurate to the game.
I sanded the whole thing as best as I could, added a few layers of Gesso, sanded it down again and dropped a layer of mod pudge on it to prep it for painting.
I made the eye holes a bit bigger, and painted the whole thing. nothing much to say here other than I used cheap acrylic paint.
I carefully scratched with an X-acto knife to do some wear, as accurate as I could to the game, and added a protective layer of mod pudge, which also added a nice shiny effect.
I took some old straps and jury rigged a little something. I bought some cat collars to get more of the strap thingies later on and added velcro to the straps.
and I’m done! I glued a sheet of nylon to the eyes, that way I can see through but people can’t see my eyes all that well. I’m definitely satisfied with the result, especially since it’s pretty much my first attempt at making a prop for cosplay. I made this for a convention called Otakuthon in Montreal. I’ll be hanging out with Hoxton and Dallas there!